Have you ever worried that your once-blissful marriage is becoming routine? You are definitely not alone. But regardless of your age, there are plenty of simple ways to re-ignite the spark in your relationship.
1. Try New Things
- Trying new activities together is a great way to strengthen your bond and keep your relationship exciting.
- Take a dance class together, go on a hiking trip, cook something challenging or visit a new place. It doesn’t need to be expensive, or physically demanding.
- You could try out a new board game, or volunteer together for a cause you both care about.
- The important thing is that it creates new experiences that you can share.
2. Deviate from Routine Conversation Topics
- Regardless of your time spent together, there are always new things to talk about. Your spouse might have an interesting perspective on an issue or current affair. You may have heard an amusing story, or stumbled across a great film.
- Break away from the routine conversations about work, family and mutual friends.
- Take an interest in your partner’s hobbies, even if you don’t share their passion. Your partner will appreciate it.
- You will learn something new plus it will strengthen your understanding of each other.
- Sometimes life gets hectic. Work, family commitments and other pressures can have an impact on the way you and your partner interact. It is important to remember what it is that makes you crazy for one another.
- Think back to your first date and try to recall what was going through your head.
- Browse photos from your holidays, birthdays and your wedding.
- Talk about the day you first moved in together.
- If you take the time every once in a while to re-visit these simple moments, you will remind yourself why it is all worthwhile.
4. Be Spontaneous
- Many married couples make the mistake of waiting for a reason to do something.
- We celebrate promotions, get dressed up for formal occasions and make gifts on Birthdays and anniversaries. But doing something ‘just because’ is a great way to keep the spark alive between you and your partner.
- Try sending each other gifts, or changing up your hair.
- Put on a sexy outfit before your partner arrives home.
- Why not try getting intimate in a new or strange place?
- Keep each other guessing, and you can re-live the rush of anticipation you felt in the earlier stages of your relationship.
5. Romantic Gestures
- Sure, every person has different tastes. What is cute to one person might seem sappy to another. But every relationship has the potential for romance.
- Find a way to express your feelings that in a way that pushes your partner’s buttons.
- Give each other massages, leave each other notes, or send a charming and witty email to your spouse.
- Do not let other people define romance for you- make these interactions unique.
6. Date Nights
- Most relationships begin with restaurants, concerts, bars and movies. But often, these nights out become less frequent once you are more comfortable with each other and living under the same roof.
- To keep the ‘honeymoon phase’ alive, take the effort of going out somewhere special on a regular basis.
- Plan a ‘date night’ in advance. Put on your best evening-wear, make out in public and act as if you are seducing each other for the very first time.
7. Take time to yourself
- There is some truth to the age-old saying ‘absence makes the heart grow fonder’.
- While quality time together is important, you also need to make sure that you and your partner have the space to indulge in your own interests and spend time with friends.
- Communicate clearly when you need more time to yourself, and openly negotiate a balance that works for your relationship.
- Some time apart will allow you to miss one another and inspire you to make the most of the time you spend together.